Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Rescue Simulation outlook

From: Arash Rahimi <rahimi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:29:36 +0330

Dear Babak,

Of course, project management has been one of our problems
during these years. With no doubt, during these years of being
a member of TC and OC, we always had enough ideas and
plans for improving the quality of simulators and competitions.
But what we were lacking [and I recently indicated in one of
my last e-mails to TC and OC] was someone who could say
the last word when we could not reach a final conclusion due
to different ideas, a coordinator of tasks, and in a single word,
a good manager.

But, I still think that the problem was more serious than lack
of a project manager. Project manager can do well when there
is [at least some candidates willing to become] a team to
accomplish some goal. But often, I wasn't able to sense such
a team spirit in TC and OC. May be it is because some of us
are only willing [and may be able] to do organization [and not
technical] work. And may be some of us were so busy with
their own work that they could not dedicate enough time and
energy to this responsibility. In this state, one, as the coordinator
among TC and OC members, was not sure whether a specific
task would finish on time when he assigned it to someone else.
Or one, may receive the first answer to his e-mail asking
others to give their opinions regarding some subject about
one ro two weeks later.

And of course, the community is also another reason for some
of our failures. RoboCup rescue simulation community is not
so active. There are a few posts each month and the subjects
of most of these posts are not interesting. I admit that in order
to have a more active community, we should build a mroe attractive
problem domain but in order to do so, the current members of
community should dedicate what the are able to dedicate.

At last, I would like to raise another question: Why are all of
us saying these words now? To Ahmad, Nobel, Mohammad,
and Omid: what if all bugs of package 0.50 were fixed last
week? Did you send your e-mails regarding the league and
its weaknesses in that case? I'm not sure about it! If TC and
OC are not doing their job well for years and if the league is
not approaching its desired goal, why weren't these e-mails
sent one, two, three weeks/months ago?

Regards,
Arash