Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Rescue Simulation outlook

From: Mayssam M. Nevisi <mayssam_m_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear rescuers,

As one of the members of the community since 2002
along with Arian team, I want to remind you about the
terrible buggy and spaghetti server that has been
changed to current fully-functional well-structured
and really easy to use one during these recent years.

Ofcourse, the change is the result of the works of two
people that every body knows, and we shall really be
thanful for them.

Also the hard (and extra-ordinary) amount of work that
all of the committee members do to make a "good
competition" possible has made the main problems
hidden from the whole community (mainly, the fact that
every body shall contribute to the community to have a
good competition)

Compared with soccer simulation, robocup-rescue is:

1- less attractive,
2- more complicated

hence, there are normally less participants, less
contributors, and less progress in this field.

The complicated environment has led the teams to
develop "agents with good heuristics" where normally
"learning" shall be the main aspect in the league.

Another problem is the large number of iranian
participants (like myself, ofcourse!) that normally
participate ONLY to become the world championship.
Actually, among iranian's devoted to rescue
simulation, there are really few people like Arash ;-)
A simple review of the recent TDPs (2006, 2005, ...)
proves this.

Mainly, I suggest the committee to:

1- Limit the number of teams per country

2- Force teams contribute to the community:
Top 8 teams are assigned some shceduled tasks (coding,
testing, ...) by the committee and a minimum amount of
contribution becomes one of the mandatory
qualification materials.

3- Last stable version of the server is fixed for the
competitions at least 3 months earlier.

Best,
Mayssam

=== message truncated ===>