Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Package Simulationrunner.

From: Isabela Anciutti <darkaryen_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:49:15 +0000

Hallo, Nobel,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm quite not sure whether it will solve my problem or not. As I told, I need to have a Java app controlling the whole process. Here is what I have:

Genetic Algorithm in Java:
> start genetic population
loop
> start simulation
> start agents
> detect end of simulation
> kill remaining simulators
> kill remaining agents
> calculate fitness
> generate new offspring
restart loop

Therefore, I need the Java application (genetic) running, optimizing the agents over and over again. The genetic will be running for more than 10 hours non-stop. That's why I said that I must "repeatedly" start the simulation inside the same Java app. I could write a script that would first start the simulation, then the agents. No problem. But except for the first run, all the next teams of rescue agents being restarted will be based on the genetic offspring, i.e. they need to start only when the genetic says so. Therefore, if sim and team are running independently from the genetic app, I'd have to find a way to synchronize the genetic with the script. It would not be reliable.

That's why I think it's easier to simply have the Java program (the genetic) deciding when to start what, making calls to other processes. So, could I successfully run the all.sh (or similar) from withing Java? Up to now I couldn't. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or if I should set something. If you developed a package that successfully starts the simulation and that package can be called from a Java app, then it would be really helpful to me! Is this package public? I have no problems running my agents (for they are in Java too), it's only the sim that is giving me trouble to start, to detect when it stops and so on.

Thank you in advance.

Isabela