Re: Number of computers

From: Mohsen Izadi (roboresc_mi@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun 20 Jun 2004 - 10:42:39 GMT

Dear Dr. Takahashi,

> Yes, the number of PC is less that at 2002 and 2003.
> However, the power of CPU and memory are greater
> than 2002 and 2003,
> if I am correct. (There is no descriprion on my HP
> 2003 memo, sorry:)

In 2003 there were 3 Pentium 4 2.4GHZ with 256MB
Memory.

> As a team leader of Hinomiyagura, I prefer less
> number of PCs with high
> specification to more number of PCs with low
> spec.ˇˇBecaue the formerˇˇ
> configuration provides more stable network traffic
> to the latter one.

I agree with you! But I think that the change in
computing power should logically match the decrease in
the number of PCs. In our case, I think
one P4 2.8GHZ cannot reach the computing power of
3 P4 2.4GHZ PCs.

> I think this configuration is one for preliminary
> games and after
> semifinals, 2sets: 1 server and 3 clients. Is it
> right ?
> Then, I prefer more games at preliminary with less
> PCs to
> less games with more PCs.

I did not find anything in Dr. Akin's e-mail
indicating that in semifinal there would be 2 sets
with 1 server and 3 clients.

However, Although it's right that in semifinals we
have fewer simulations to perform, I do not think that
having preliminaries with 1 client and then adding 2
more ones for semifinal would be a fair and logical
decision.

If having 1 client for preliminaries is because there
is a limitation on computing resources for each agent,
then this limitation should be applied to other rounds
too. But if it is just because of not having enough
PCs, I think it's not fair to reduce the quality of
simulations and competitions for this reason. A better
decision would be to have 2 clusters and dedicating
more time to run the simulations on
each day.(e.g. From 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM, 3 situations
each day)

Regards,
Mohsen Izadi,
S.O.S. Member