Re: Number of computers

From: Takahashi Tomoichi (ttaka@ccmfs.meijo-u.ac.jp)
Date: Sun 20 Jun 2004 - 01:44:52 GMT

Dear Mohesen, Kliener and all;

>From my experience of TC chair at 2002/3, computer environment was
one of hard tasks of TC. It is good that all know how RoboCup
competitions are prepared. Typical examples are followings:

1.League TC chairs ask their league’s demand to LOC about 6 months ago.
  The number of intention of participations is important to estimate the
  league’s demand.
2.LOC designs their draft to satisfy the demands although there are
  constrains on spaces, money and etc,
  (In parallel, LOC talks to RoboCup Federation on these issues.)
3.LOC announces their design to TC. TC chair announces it to teams about
  several months ago. At this time, teams are qualified. TC and LOC talk
  computer environments again based on their responses to the
  announcement of TC.
4.LOC decide their plan a month ago and order to setup RoboCup sites.
  (The decision may be less or better than the announcement of TC’s
   announcement, or the same.)
5.TC members plan the schedule of their league so that more games are to
  played in good conditions.

> Dear Dr. Akin and Technical Committee members,
>
> > We will have 4 sets: 1 server (Pentium 4- 3.06 GHZ
> > 1GB RAM) + 1 client
> > (Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ) each.

Yes, the number of PC is less that at 2002 and 2003.
However, the power of CPU and memory are greater than 2002 and 2003,
if I am correct. (There is no descriprion on my HP 2003 memo, sorry:)

As a team leader of Hinomiyagura, I prefer less number of PCs with high
specification to more number of PCs with low spec. Becaue the former
configuration provides more stable network traffic to the latter one.

I think this configuration is one for preliminary games and after
semifinals, 2sets: 1 server and 3 clients. Is it right ?
Then, I prefer more games at preliminary with less PCs to
less games with more PCs.

>> OS: SuSE Linux 9.1
>Basically, they all have to get their code running under GCC 3.2 or
>higher. Furthermore this means in consequence that someone has to fix
>the current kernel, which is not compatible with the latest GCC version

Yes, it is important to inform software condition.
Out team requires Java 1.4 upper and emacs.

Best regards,

Tomoichi Takahashi

Tomoichi TAKAHASHI, Dr. Eng.

  1-501 Shiogamaguchi, Tenpaku-ku, Nagoya, 468-8502, Japan
  Meijo University
  Faculty of Science and Technology,
  Department of Information Sciences
  e-mail: ttaka@ccmfs.meijo-u.ac.jp