Re: Number of computers

From: Alexander Kleiner (kleiner@informatik.uni-freiburg.de)
Date: Sat 19 Jun 2004 - 12:44:51 GMT

Hi rescuers!

H. Levent AKIN wrote:

> We will have 4 sets: 1 server (Pentium 4- 3.06 GHZ 1GB RAM) + 1 client
> (Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ) each.

Sorry, but I think it is not adequate to change a delicate detail such
as "the amount of CPU power provided to the agents" a few days before the
competition starts. So far, there was always the agreement that there
are at least three machines for each run and team.

> OS: SuSE Linux 9.1

If you propose to change from RedHat to Suse, this means in consequence
that all teams programming in C++ (which does not apply to my own team),
have a lot of additional work to do till the competition.
Basically, they all have to get their code running under GCC 3.2 or
higher. Furthermore this means in consequence that someone has to fix
the current kernel, which is not compatible
with the latest GCC version (there are problems if you try to connect
agents from remote, agents are basically not acting).
I would recommend to use the Debian distribution instead.

> We will not have any computers for development. Please bring your
> laptops.

This information comes also a bit late, since we expected to get
occasionally one or two machines for development (as it was last year
the case).
Will there be at least enough space and a network connection for the
laptops (as it was last year the case)?

Cheers and rescueOn,

Alexander Kleiner
Member ResQ Freiburg