Re: Number of computers

From: Mohsen Izadi (roboresc_mi@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat 19 Jun 2004 - 08:05:24 GMT

Dear Dr. Akin and Technical Committee members,

> We will have 4 sets: 1 server (Pentium 4- 3.06 GHZ
> 1GB RAM) + 1 client
> (Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ) each.

Just 1 client for running agents is not suitable for
competitions. In the previous competitions teams had
access to 3 or 4 computers(e.g. 3 Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ
in 2003 competitions). Why is it now reduced to just
1 computer?

Agents running on a single computer in addition to
sharing CPU power(for 41 agents, each agent will just
have 25 milliSeconds of CPU_Time/cycle in the best
case), should share I/O. this would result loss of
cycles even for agents which took a very little time
thinking.

What, if a team counted on having computing power
similar to that of last years? I think our team will
experience difficulties with this configuration which
is notified to teams just one week before the
competitions. Such a change is not a small change to
be notified to teams in this time.

Furthermore, the operating system is said to be SuSE
which, as we think, is not a suitable environment for
running Rescue Simulation package. Our experience of
German Open clearly shows that there are several
problems with SuSE. Moreover, there are several known
and unknown bugs in SuSE which arise from its modified
Kernel architecture and may cause problems to teams
and the simulator.

RedHat will certainly be a better choice as it is more
stable and also tested in previous competitions.

Regards,
Mohsen Izadi,
S.O.S. Member