Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Using C#/MONO as an official rescue simulation agent language

From: Cameron Skinner <cam@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Fri 16 Feb 2007 - 22:32:47 GMT

Hadi Asghari wrote:
> Hi to everybody!
>
> I wish to propose to the technical committee to add C# to the list of
> official languages that can be used for writing the agents, in addition
> to Java and C++.

The issue here is wider than just language support - we need to know
which libraries will be officially maintained by the committee?

For example, YabAPI and rescuecore are both java implementations. YabAPI
is not part of the official robocup rescue distribution and is not
officially maintained, but it is still used by many teams. Rescuecore,
on the other hand, is part of the distribution and contains many useful
tools but is not used by so many teams.

Personally, I am in favour of minimising the amount of official support
because supporting more libraries means more maintenance work for the
committee and less time spent improving the competition. I'm more than
happy for people to develop their own implementations and I strongly
encourage team Kosar to release their C# port of YabAPI regardless of
whether it is officially recognised.

This will require a lot of discussion - an ideal opportunity to take
advantage of the services provided by sourceforge. I will start a
discussion thread on the developers forum
(http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=330859) and I have cc'd
this message to roborescue-developers@lists.sourceforge.net.

If you have any comments then please use either the developers mailing
list or the forum thread.

Thanks,
Cameron.

--