Re: Message Length Limitation

From: zijian (zren@engineering.uiowa.edu)
Date: Sat 21 Feb 2004 - 22:26:30 GMT

Dear Mohsen,

I agree with your opinion "teams should not heavily rely on communication"
but we need to cooperate with new changes in rescue 0.44. Rescue 0.44 uses
random object IDs which is 9 bytes long while object IDs in old rescue is
1-4 bytes.

I think the majority of messages need carry object IDs and 80 bytes may be
too limited for new 9-byte object IDs.
Some teams may pack IDs into binaries to handle the limitation. It just
increases the programming complexity without tackling the key issues of
communication.

One goal of rescue simulation, in my opionin, is to simulate the real rescue
situation. We need to discuss which way is more realistic and popular in
real rescue communication situation, very short messages (such as 80 bytes)
or relatively long messges (such as 256 bytes)? For my understanding, the
maximum length of one message is not important as long as the technical
committe or every team agrees that a simulation team uses RATIONAL and
REALISTIC messages.

best regards,

zijian ren
phoenix team