Message Length Limitation

From: Mohsen Izadi (roboresc_mi@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat 21 Feb 2004 - 15:08:03 GMT

Dear Friends,
 We recently noticed that maximum length
of TELL and SAY messages is set to 256
bytes for 2004 competitions.

 Regarding to our experiences in 2003
competitions, we thought that a limit
of 80 bytes is not restrictive. In other
words we found it both restrictive
enough (Making teams not rely totally on
communication for cooperation) and open
enough (Not limiting the flow of AI ideas
utilizing message-passing between agents).

 As most of you remember there were some
discussions about the restrictions on
messages before 2002 and 2003 competitions
and as a result of these discussions and
a voting from teams we used a limit of 80
bytes in 2003 competitions(Among some more
restrictive proposals like 12kkId).

 Now, Our question is why is it again reset
to 256 bytes by Technical Committee? We're
afraid it will result in strategies heavily
based on centralized decision-making, which
is against Multi-agent spirit of RoboCup
competitions.

Regards,
Mohsen Izadi,
S.O.S. Member