Re: Proposals for RoboCupRescue 2003 regulations

From: Ranjit Nair (nair@usc.edu)
Date: Thu 17 Oct 2002 - 05:42:20 GMT

    I tend to agree with Mazda on the issue of the ACL. It is not for the
    simulator to specify the format or content of messages. In order for the
    simulation to be realistic, the agents should be free to decide on how
    or what they communicate. Hence I am against the idea of an explicit ACL.
    It should be up to the agents to decide on whatever ACL to use.

    This said, the kinds of restrictions you propose are very necessary too. I
    would thus put restrictions on:
    1. The number of messages sent (already exists)
    2. The number of messages received (already exists)
    3. The number of bytes communicated. (new proposal)

    This could be a restriction on the
    size of an individual message or the total number of bytes sent in a
    single cycle. In most human languages we talk at about 5-6.5 syllables/sec.
    This translates into roughly 300-400 syllables/minutes. The average word
    in English is 1.4 syllables long and roughly 4-5 bytes (including spaces).
    Therefore, if we were considering human speech in English we would be able
    to speak about 1100 bytes if we were speaking continuously. That is no
    time for acting or listening.

    Let us assume for a moment that we are allowed to hear and send 4 messages
    of 80 bytes each in every time step. Since speaking rates= listening rate,
    this would mean about that for 8 messages (4 heard and 4 spoken), it would
    take the agent about 35 secs leaving about 25 secs to act. I think this is
    a fair assumption.

    Hence my proposal is that each message that an agent send should not be
    more than 80 bytes long. Such restrictions on the amount of information shared prevents the
    distributed problem degenerating into a centralized single controller
    problem.

    I think that centers (fire station, ambulance
    center and police office) should be allowed to send and receive more
    messages than other agents because we can assume that they have better
    hardware and more manpower. I agree with Takeshi's proposal on the number
    of messages for centers.

    Regards,

    Ranjit