Re: rules for 2002 (version.7) & official registration & award

From: Ikuo Takeuchi (nue@nue.org)
Date: Wed 01 May 2002 - 09:18:19 GMT

Dear All,

We have a serious concern about the vagueness of the 2002 rule as was
decided recently (version 7). There seems to be no clear criteria in
advance to what extent we can allow the amount of messages issued by
an agent at one cycle. The definition of a 'simple' sentence is one of
the most important issues when we think of the RoboCupRescue
competition as a good research platform for distributed multi-agent
cooperation.

In our proposal made in last November,

 http://kiyosu.isc.chubu.ac.jp/robocup/Rescue/2002memo/Rule/TakMor-11-29.txt

a 'simple' sentence is ultimately small with an expectation that such
simple sentence makes the problem more challenging in the field of
multi-agent systems research. "Not very large but some amount of
messages" does not give a very good, clear-cut means or standard to
measure the obtained ability of agent cooperation.

RoboCupRescue competition is not a mere competition, but it should
promote the related research to some good direction. In RoboCup
soccer, recently, the size of a message issued by a player is
drastically decreased than before to be nearly equal to that of a
human player. We think that was a right decision. In RoboCupRescue,
however, the situation is not so straightforward since future Robot
rescue agents need not be restricted to speak as slowly as human
agents. Too restricted 'simple' sentence may not match our final
goal.

But we have not yet real Robot resue agents at present. So we think
it is natural for the rescue agents in the current competition to
model human agents as they are in order to suggest the real human
rescue agents how they should cooperate in a fuss of big disaster. If
we do not think so, that is, if we think the rescue agents should
model futuristic robot agents in 2050, we should not restrict the size
of messages at all! "Not very large but some amount of messages" does
not seem to have a firm principle with respect to this kind of
argument.

Moreover, we proposed this ultimately simple sentence rule about five
months ago on the community. It has been long public enough to
discuss.

Best Regards,

Tak (NUE)