Re: Re: some newbie questions

From: takahashi_tomoichi (ttaka@isc.chubu.ac.jp)
Date: Fri 29 Mar 2002 - 13:17:44 GMT

Dear Michael:

        As far as I can answer,

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:14:36 +0100,
Michael Brenner <brenner@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> said:

B> Hi,

B> we want to use RoboCupRescue as a term project for software development
B> in the coming spring semester. At the moment we are trying to start (!)

        It sounds great!

B> the simulation which is not as easy as it seemed... :-(
B> Maybe somebody among you can answer some of our newbie questions!

B> 1. Has anybody used Rescue for similar projects and could tell me about
B> his/her experiences?

        I think that your course is the first trial for education.
        What kinds of students is your project's target,
        graduate course or under-graduate ?

B> 2. It is recommended to use 1/100 maps. The README file says to copy
B> some *.bin files from data*.tar.gz files. Where can I find these files
B> and where must I copy them?

        http://www.cs.dis.titech.ac.jp/~hatayama/rcr/rcr_gis.html

        The page is linked dowbload web page in
        http://robomec.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp/robocup-rescue/download.html

B> 3. When I start the all.sh script, the logviewer does not open. It opens
B> when I start samplecivilian but not when R_Civilian ist started. Is this
B> normal and why?

        No.
        Logviewers - either kuwataviewer or simple2dviewer - open.

B> 4. The simulation seems to run, fire breaks out and people start dying,
B> but nobody ever moves, at least not in the logviewer. Why?

        Do civilan agents work?
        R_Civilian packed in 0.37 contains bugs, and terminates after
        the rescue simulation starts.
        You can get modified version from
        http://www.carc.aist.go.jp/~kshinoda/R_Civilian/

B> 5. After cycle 4 there is a stop of at least 60 seconds. What happens
B> during that time? Apparently this is not a crash because after that
B> period time passes as before.

B> 6. When trying YabAI instead of samplecivilian it crashes with lots of
B> NullPointer exceptions. I wonder if this is due to my machine (800 MHz,
B> Linux) or maybe a protocol change since the Seattle competition (I
B> downloaded Package 0.37).

        YabAI in Package 0.37 seems to have bugs.
        You can download old YabAI packages from
        http://ne.cs.uec.ac.jp/~morimoto/

B> These are probably dumb questions, but it needs a lot of trial-and-error
B> to even start the simulation, so I thought it might be easier to ask ;-)

        As you see http://ne.cs.uec.ac.jp/~koto/rescue/
        RoboCupRescue Simulation System Basic Package has been version upped
        several times. (please refer to mails in
        http://kiyosu.isc.chubu.ac.jp/robocup/Rescue/note2002.html )

        There are some interface_mismatches in packages.
        Last week, we did RoboCup Japan Competition and found some bugs there.
        Authors of programs have been degugging. The next version will solve
        these problems. (Of course, executing all.sh starts demonstation like
        ver.0.31)

        Best regards;

 Tomoichi TAKAHASHI, Dr. Eng.
        CHUBU UNIVERSITY
                1200 Matsumoto, Kasugai, AICHI, 487-8501 Japan
                E-mail: ttaka@isc.chubu.ac.jp
                homepage: http://kiyosu.isc.chubu.ac.jp/robocup/index.html