some newbie questions

From: Michael Brenner (brenner@informatik.uni-freiburg.de)
Date: Thu 28 Mar 2002 - 13:14:36 GMT

Hi,

we want to use RoboCupRescue as a term project for software development
in the coming spring semester. At the moment we are trying to start (!)
the simulation which is not as easy as it seemed... :-(
Maybe somebody among you can answer some of our newbie questions!

1. Has anybody used Rescue for similar projects and could tell me about
his/her experiences?

2. It is recommended to use 1/100 maps. The README file says to copy
some *.bin files from data*.tar.gz files. Where can I find these files
and where must I copy them?

3. When I start the all.sh script, the logviewer does not open. It opens
when I start samplecivilian but not when R_Civilian ist started. Is this
normal and why?

4. The simulation seems to run, fire breaks out and people start dying,
but nobody ever moves, at least not in the logviewer. Why?

5. After cycle 4 there is a stop of at least 60 seconds. What happens
during that time? Apparently this is not a crash because after that
period time passes as before.

6. When trying YabAI instead of samplecivilian it crashes with lots of
NullPointer exceptions. I wonder if this is due to my machine (800 MHz,
Linux) or maybe a protocol change since the Seattle competition (I
downloaded Package 0.37).

These are probably dumb questions, but it needs a lot of trial-and-error
to even start the simulation, so I thought it might be easier to ask ;-)

Thanks a lot for your help,

                michael

--
Michael Brenner 		Phone: (+49) (761) 203-8226
Institute of Computer Science	Fax:   (+49) (761) 203-8222

Georges-Koehler-Allee, Geb. 52 D-79110 Freiburg, Germany http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~brenner