[robocup-rescue-s] A propose on computer-aided map editor

From: Rujia Liu <liurj_at_mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 03:49:39 +0800

Hi,

I did not feel well yesterday so today I'm late (so missing the photo). I've read the emails about maps carefully and feel that there is a need for a compute-aided map editor (in addition to a pure automatic generator, which is more likely to create maps with unexpected feature) in near future, after the contest.

I have some rough ideas about its main funcitonality:
1. a simple scripting language to specify different generating algorithm.
2. a validator to ensure that the maps are correct (like, say, no isolated nodes as in Random-9, or no refuge as in Random-11 etc)
3. an importing tool (like the convertion software from ArcGIS by Mr. Ngo Van Luyen). But since real maps are usually large, special importing options are needed, like importing a small portion, or decrease the resolution of map etc
4. an analyser to show various properties of the map, e.g. the ones from graph theory (connectedness, k-connectednes, diameter, etc), to estimate different aspects of the complexity.

I really hope we can have such a tool, which will definitely help the organizers as well as the teams ourselves.
I'm willing to contribute to this, so I'd like to hear your comments on this idea, especially Mr. Cameron and IranOpen map designers. Thanks!

Yours,
Rujia Liu
TsinghuAeolus Rescue Simulation Team