Re: [robocup-rescue-s] 2007 Competition Comments (until now)

From: Cameron Skinner <cam_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:53:40 +1200

Hi.

> Random-7 had a city split into two halves with a single road connecting
> them. This is very much like many cities around the world, such as
> Auckland, Sydney, San Francisco and others that are built around
> harbours with bridges across them. If your path-planner does not work on
> this type of map then you need to rethink your approach.
>

> It is not problem of path planning, it was the problem length of path
> which we have predicted for our estimator,

This *is* a problem with your path planner. You made an assumption that
was incorrect. That is not a problem with the map.

> I just said it as an example,
> yes I did underestimate it, but as I said just simply add 20000
> buildings on a map, it is a new feature, someone may handle because they
> do less computations or whatever, do you call it a novel map to test all
> the aspects of the codes?

Yes. Adding this many buildings would test your ability to make
decisions quickly, even when there is a lot of information to process.

> These decisions are not careless. A lot of thought goes into coming up
> with ways to make the competition more interesting and challenging, and
> design decisions are made for a reason. As I said before, you are most
> welcome to contribute maps of your own, or tools for generating new
> maps. Perhaps you could implement a module for the random map
> generator,
> or extend the scenario maker, or write your own map generator?
>

> I think it is, I think the important thing is to make a fair
> competition more than a interesting competition(I don't what is the
> definition of interesting in RCRS) I have sent an e-mail to the mailing
> list three days that there are difference in the same situations with
> same randomseeds, you said you will investigate it and announce it as
> soon as possible, I didn't see any e-mail in the mailing list

That is because the bug has not been found. The misc simulator has not
changed since 2003, so it is the same as previous years. If anyone can
find the bug then please let me know.

Cameron.