Re: [robocup-rescue-s] 2007 Competition Comments (until now)

From: Ahmad Boorghany <boorghany_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 01:14:36 -0400

On 7/6/07, Cameron Skinner <cam_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> > We had 11 random maps out of 24 maps which is used for preliminary,
> > which is about half of all maps, I want to know what is the purpose of
> > such a map designing?!
>
> There are several reasons to use random maps.
>
> 1) To prevent hard-coding. Several teams are known to hard-code their
> behaviour for the 4 known maps. This is against the spirit of the
> competition - your code is supposed to work on arbitrary maps, not to be
> optimised for one map in particular.
>
> 2) We simply do not have enough real maps to make an interesting
> competition without random maps. 4 maps over 6 days will get boring very
> quickly. More importantly, it is practically impossible to add new
> challenges to the existing maps because they have been used so much in
> the past. We must have some way of getting more maps and currently the
> random map generator is the only option.

Seems not a technical reason (in my opinion).

You may not have noticed, but today's random maps were a different style
> to those from last year. This is because I wrote new tools for map
> generation two days ago. Today I extended these tools to make tomorrows'
> maps even more different.
>
> So there is, in fact, *more* variety this year than in previous years.

There is more variety on the maps itself (related to previous year, not
various generally) but less variety on the situations (which is necessary,
but the map's variety in not necessary, just preferred)

> first is we want a simulation which is most close to the real
> > environment, for overcoming the crisis after an earthquake, if we
> > consider so, which controlling groups/systems knows nothing before the
> > first minute of a disaster and begins its work just after 3 minutes of
> > knowing the city they are working on!
> > Another view is that it should be a test bed for applying methods, which
> > helps to produce/improve some AI/CS methods, in this case, I think
> > current definition and evaluation system of RCRSS has enough randomness
> > (e.g. finding civilians about to die in first cycles, finding easy to
> > extiguish fire sources, ...) if we add to them a random gis in this
> > large scale I want to know what is to be tested on these methods?!
>
> Both views are valid. For the first view, random maps are still useful
> because your agents should work on arbitrary situations, not just known
> ones. For example, when there is a major disaster rescue teams from all
> over the world are called in to help. In the Bam earthquake, rescuers
> from outside Iran could not be expected to know the city very well, so
> for them the map was "random".

Random maps are not such random, they are like each other to a great extend.
I don't think that It is a good comparison between random maps and Bam city.

The same reasoning applies to the second view. Your methods should work

Ahmad.