Re: [robocup-rescue-s] 2007 Competition Comments (until now)

From: Cameron Skinner <cam_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 02:30:55 +1200

Hi,

> - My second comment is about the maps used these days. I think these
> maps do not have required variety to evaluate team's behavior. You can
> categorized most maps in 2 groups which has too many similarities. for
> example:
> 1) maps with many fires (not controllable fires - huge portion of
> city burns for all teams) and too many blockades (whole map seems blocked).
> 2) maps with some small fires (which most teams extinguish it easily)
> and there are no considerable blocks.

It is very difficult to generate new maps for the competition with the
tools available at the moment. Unfortunately, the random map generator
is very simple and we only have 4 other maps to use. In addition,
generating situations that will be challenging is extremely difficult -
it is hard to tell whether a particular fire will be controllable or
not, or whether there are too many or too few blockades.

I made some changes to the scenario generator yesterday that will allow
for more interesting maps. Today we will hopefully see some more
difficult situations that will test all aspects of each teams' performance.

You are welcome to generate your own maps/scenarios and send them to me.
In fact, I recommend you try it so you can get an idea of just how hard
this problem is. If possible, I will try to include your ideas in the
competition scenarios (obviously I won't just use your map since you
have a team of your own, but any ideas will be appreciated).

Regards,
Cameron.