Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Rescue Simulation outlook

From: Nobel Huang <nobel1984_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 00:01:13 +0800

Dear everyone,

I am very glad to see that so many rescuers (include server coders, team
coders, members of TC & OC) could join the discussion about the future of
RoboCup Rescue Simulation, and point out some of the problems existing
in our community or committee. This scene is so different from those in
the past since I subscribed the mail list in Oct last year.

Actually I am just a freshman to the RRS. However, I am also keen to the
development of RRS and want to make more communication with all of you
rather than winning some competitions. Unfortunately, except some official
announcements, I hardly could see more significant mails in the group
(of course some), even MOST of the names which appear recently I never
heard before:)

After read the two mails sent by Babak Behsaz carefully, I appreciate that
Babak has put forward many significant suggestions and asked several
thought-provoking but basic questions for RRS, which reflects the reason
for passive community from some perspective. Howerver, in my opinion, a basic
factor may be neglected. The point is that the TC & OC is not a company or
enterprise which could be organized and managed by normal software project
management method simply. Concretely,

1. The members of the TC/OC also have their own business to do, and the roles
they play in the TC generally are not their salaried occupation. So usually
there are not certain executive restriction among them. Based on this, orders
may often make no sense when something special happen to the receiver, and
could you say that it is the fault of the receiver? However, they still work
for RRS for several years and drive the RRS forwards. Why? Enthusiasm!

2. The distance between each member of TC limits the intercommunion
more or less,
I think. This may also result in the inefficacy to the normal
management. Sometimes,
the face-to-face conference may get more agreement comparing with the
time-consuming
mail communication.

3. Lackness of fund to back this management.

So, in my opinion, we need not only a good software project management, but
also our enthusiasm for the RRS development rather than only the competitions!
We indeed need to dedicate ourself to the development of RRS more pressing and
initiative, including improving the server, putting out suggestion,
testing, etc.
I think the future of RRS would be more luciferous. Maybe you should comment me
as naive, but I just want to arouse our enthusiasm for this project
and devoting
more to it.

In addition, Arash ask me why these weren't e-mails sent one, two,
three weeks/months
ago. However, in fact, when I reproted a bug via the mail list and
then supplied
another bug log via sf, I really do not realize the lackness of
programmers and just
think that the bug-fixed version should be released soon. Sorry!

Regards,
Nobel Huang