[robocup-rescue-s] RoboCup2007 & Server50

From: Ahmad Boorghany <boorghany_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:14:36 +0330

Hi everybody,

I was just looking at the archive of roborescue-bugs mailing list since
server50 had some annoying bugs which prevent us to run good games and
evaluating their results. So I found this mail:

"Sometimes, I found that an ambulance sent AK_LOAD command all the time but
no effect or sending AK_UNLOAD command took no effect too. Then I check the
server code(rescue-0.50.0), and log the position in kernel and traffic
simulator respectively based a simple scenario in which there are only one
civilian and one ambulance team.

As a result, the log files indicate that the misc simulator also sent the
civilian position information to the kernel, and when the misc update
command was received after the received traffic update command, the kernel
would override the traffic position information and sent the civilian
position which received from misc but wrong to the agents and viewers. So
the agents would request LOAD the same civilian again because the kernel
tell him the specific civilian is not on him, while the traffic simulator
think that the civilian is on the ambulance and throw a error! So the lock
formed!"

(sender name was not available)

We have the same problem too. However channel based communication is the
main change from Server49 to 50 but it seems without bug and serious
problems are because of other smaller changes.

If we consider that these bugs are small but serious, I think the best
approach is that who has changed the code and/or know the changes exactly
tries to fix them and others guide him/her precisely by good bug reports.
But until there is such annoying bugs, nobody can see anything.

Best regards,
Ahmad.

P.S. I just want to know what is the committee's plan? :) Thanks.

P.S.2 I think if the committee decides not to use Server50 for the
competitions, it will be an oppression against those teams which have spent
lots of time adopting their code and algorithms to the new server and will
be an encouragement for those teams which didn't do anything. (Remember that
Server50 released at March 31 and it has been run in the JapanOpen2007
competitions)