Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Hidden Rule

From: Arash Rahimi <rahimi@gmail.com>
Date: Fri 16 Jun 2006 - 11:36:19 GMT

Dear members of Itandroids,

Here are my comments, as a member of TC, on what you've said in your
 e-mails:

* There is a rule that, every team may upload its code between sessions, as
> you
> can read in the manual.

Yes! But you haven't got the exact meaning of this rule clearly. This rule
means
that teams can ONLY update their codes between the sessions. This rule does
not state that there WILL necessarily be an update between two consecutive
sessions.

So, there isn't any new set of rules introduced yesterday! It was only a
decision
about the competition procedure.

Today our best friend and the chair of the Technical Commitee, Mr. Cameron
> Skinner, told us about a new exciting rule just before the first session
> of the
> second day of competition:

For the sake of information, Cameron is not the chair of Technical
Committee.

. . . This new rule deeply depreciated
> our team, that missed the submission by only 2 minutes (isn't it weird?
> changing the rules in the middle of the game? Try to think of what could
> happen, if the same thing occured in the World Cup).

Well! Consider the situation where Brazil comes to the stadium just 2
minutes
late. What do you think will be happen? If you do not know, check the
respective
rules of FIFA.

And don't forget that Rescue Simulation League is not World Cup and we are
not soccer players.

Just before
> the last session in the morning, the server crashed, but Cameron hasn't
> allowed
> submissions (please, keep in mind that the only reason for this new rule
> is to
> decrease the competition's time).

The server crashed due to its hard disk having serious problems. So, we
decided
to transfer the files to another PC and setup a new file and
competition-management
server. For this purpose, we changed the IP address of the server and set up
new one, created the users for teams, and started copying the home
directories of
teams to the new server. And in order to avoid synchronization problems, we
kept
our decision about the file server remaining still closed to the
participating teams.

upload our code (we arrived 2 minutes before closing). Does it have
> something
> to do with the Posseidon`s Java Exception issue?

I'm sorry to see to see that you write about something you know nothing
about.
Actually, Poseidon had some problems with their agents which caused them
not being able to connect to the kernel. So, we simply decided to give them
ZERO point. And they did not even say a word and argued about it. We just
showed them the stack trace for the exception thrown by their agents so that
they could find their bug and fix their agents for the next runs (Certainly,
they
were still only allowed to upload their fixed codes during the ordinary pre-
announced update sessions).

Strange, very strange! Just to
> finish the play, our best friend delayed the competition, because he was
> playing Tetris!!!
> Yes, Tetris!!!

The one playing Tetris was me, Not Cameron. And I was playing Tetris
while he was copying the log files of the last sessions to the home
directories
of teams. Be sure, that Tetris game did not delay the competition process
by any means.

To conclude, Every decision made was not only Cameron's. It was an
official decision made by all the members of TC. So, even in the case
a wrong decision was made, it was made by TC, not by Cameron.

At last, I would like to state that I was really shocked by seeing such an
e-mail with totally irrelevant, impolite and offending statements in the
mailing
list. You should note that a scientific mailing list is not a place for
making
rude jokes.

And for the next time, get certain you know enough about the things you
are going to say in a public place. And in this specific case, I think you
should immediately apologize Cameron for your offending words.

Regards,
Arash Rahimi