Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Questions on civilian behvaior and temperature

From: Cameron Skinner <cam@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sat 27 May 2006 - 06:34:46 GMT

Hi.

> 1. In kernel 49.6, there are civilians who have damage but are
> not buried (buriedness = 0). Technically this is OK by the rules,
> but we haven't seen this in previous kernels. I would like to
> know if this is by intent?

Damage and buriedness are calculated by the misc simulator which has not
changed from version 0.48.

> 2. If my platoons hear to what civilians are saying, it is ouch
> / help ...). Can I use these to estimate the civilians status?
> BTW, In the civilian simulator terminal window, civilians say quite
> few different things.

If you look at the civilian code you will see that they say "Ouch" when
damaged and "Help" when buried.

> 3. What is a civilian HP rounded to when it is say 490?
> I think currently the kernel rounds it to zero but then
> we can not distinguish this civilian from a dead one,
> so I think values under 500 are best rounded to 1.

Yes, it does round to zero. This means that you will need to decide
whether you want to spend any time rescueing a civilian with a sensed HP
value of zero or not - they might be alive, they might not.

> 4. TEMPERATURE. This value has significant impact on
> extinguishing fires.I haven't had much luck with this attribute.
> Although the extended viewer provided by AUT shows this value,
> but in my agent's, I have only seen the temperature values 50
> and 0 (with no relation to the real value what so ever). I have
> even moved the fire brigades inside the buildings to be sure
> they are in the specified sense limit, with out a difference.
> I would like to know if any team is reading the temperature
> value correctly? Or is it a bug?

See my email from a few minutes ago. Civilians that are in burning
buildings certainly sense high temperatures!

> UPDATE: After commenting the 'rounding' features and also changing
> the viewing range to 1000m , I am still only seeing the
> temperatures 19 and 20! Uncommenting
> the civilians debugs on
> temperature also report these values only. :(

It works for me - see the attached log.

> 5. I think temperatures should be sensed from 30 meters not
> just 10 meters. This is because a fire can be extinguished
> from this distance, and if the temperature is of use, the
> FB must be able to monitor it from were he is extinguishing.

You might be right, but this will *not* be changed for 2006. It is too
late to make these sorts of changes now.

Cheers,
Cameron.

--
Cameron Skinner