Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Message Protocol Questions

From: Cameron Skinner <cam@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Sat 04 Mar 2006 - 03:51:06 GMT

Hi.

> Are there any restrictions whatsoever about what can be send using TELL
> and SAY? Are there size, destination, or information content
> restrictions (beyond the 4 tells per cycle)?

SAY messages are sent to all agents within hearing distance (set in the
config file). This is usually 30 metres. TELL messages from agents go to
all agents of the same type plus the appropriate centre. TELL messages
from centres go to all other centres, plus all agents of the appropriate
type.

For example, a TELL from a fire brigade goes to all fire brigades and
the fire station. A TELL from the police office goes to the fire
station, ambulance centre and all police forces.

The size of each message is also set in the config file, currently 256
bytes. There is no specification about what the content of these bytes
is. The current civilian implementation sends plain strings (such as
"Help!" or "Ouch!"), but agents can use whatever encoding scheme they like.

> Also, does anyone have a good way to visualize the known civilians? For
> example is there a way to have the known civilians appear in a different
> color on the viewer?

Not yet, but I'm working on modifications to the 2D viewer that will
show this information. I'll let you know when it's done.

Cheers,
Cameron Skinner.

--
Cameron Skinner