Re: [robocup-rescue-s] Corrupt Makefile in new server

From: Cameron Skinner <cam@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Mon 27 Feb 2006 - 20:02:46 GMT

Hi.

Utku Tatlıdede wrote:
> I am trying the 49 version which I just downloaded. My environment is
> Fedora Core 4 32 bit Intel. Installed jdk is jdk1.5.0_06.
>
> The problems I have encountered are
>
> 1- there was no configure script in the program directory. so in the
> makefile I changed the two lines
>
> export CC=gcc-3.4
>
> export CXX=g++-3.4

> export CC=gcc
>
> export CXX=g++

That's fine, but users will have to make sure that "gcc" refers to gcc3,
not gcc4.

> 3- RescueConstants was defined as a class. I changed it to interface and
> remove the default constructor.

No!

This is very bad style. The reason RescueConstants is a class is to
force users to explictly name the constants e.g. RescueConstants.FOO
rather than implementing an interface.

The reason is that if you change the RescueConstants interface but do
not recompile the class that implements it (e.g. class Foo implements
RescueConstants) then the old Foo.class will contain incorrect information.

If RescueConstants is a class then this situation becomes impossible.

> 4- Replace KS_COMMANDS with COMMANDS in rescuecore.commands.KSCommands.java

KSCommands, KVUpdate and KSUpdate have already been replaced with the
Commands and Update classes. I have removed the three old classes from
the repository now.

> 5- rescuecore.Buffer

This class has also been removed.

> 6- rescuecore.commands.KSUpdate

> 7- rescuecore.commands.KVUpdate

See above

> 8- rescuecore.objects.FixedObjects

Class has been removed

> 9- Remove rescuecore.Properties.java

Class has been removed

> 10- rescuecore.tools.ConvertLog

Class has been removed

> The simulations start, buildings burn and civilians move but
> the sampleagents get the error below...
>
> TYPE_FIRE_STATION (96069196) just skipped ahead in time! It was timestep
> -1 and now it's timestep 1
>
> Any idea?

This is a debugging message left over from the old kernel. Just ignore it.

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes. I didn't realise rescuecore had so
many old files sitting around! You will notice that all the classes that
have been removed do not appear in any of the makefiles and should
therefore never be compiled.

Cheers,
Cameron.

--