Re: [robocup-rescue-s] KA_HEARSAY

From: Cameron Skinner <cam@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Mon 30 Jan 2006 - 00:58:25 GMT

Hi.

I agree with Arash completely. I think the easiest way to secure the
simulators is to ensure that less information is available to the agents
than is provided by the simulators, and that the simulator behaviour is
either non-deterministic, parameterised or both.

In my opinion the simulators that are the least secure are the misc and
fire simulators. We could fix the misc simulator by rounding the
PROPERTY_HP and/or PROPERTY_DAMAGE values that get sent to agents, for
example sending PROPERTY_HP rounded to the nearest 1000 would make it
much more difficult for an agent to determine the exact state of a
civilian. The initial state of each civilian is already somewhat randomised.

The fire simulator could be fixed with a simple modification that
randomises the fuel load for each building to some extent. The 3
fieryness levels already perform the same "rounding" function that I
suggest for the misc simulator.

With those two changes it might become more expensive for teams to
attempt to reverse-engineer simulator behaviour than it is to do real
research on the domain. The Robocup Rescue Simulation League competition
is there, in my view, to drive interesting research in the fields of
disaster simulation, multi-agent technologies and artificial
intelligence, not to teach developers how to read other people's code.

Cheers,
Cameron.

--
Cameron Skinner