New Schedule

From: H. Levent Akin (akin@boun.edu.tr)
Date: Wed 16 Jun 2004 - 14:18:35 GMT

Dear All

The committee has deliberated the issue at length. We feel that there is
a growing tendency to consider the simulation environment as the "real"
world and design agents that exploit the shortcomings of the models and
maps we use "just to win the competition". However, our ultimate aim is
to have physical agents with sensors and actuators that are not
perfect, trying to search and rescue in a chaotic, uncertain real
environment. We should be designing the software for such teams. This
brings forth the issue of robustness, and hence the proposed competitions.

We understand the sentiments of the teams and have decided to propose a
new schedule:

On day 1 and day 2 we will have a classical competition, we will have
random maps, in addition to the Kobe, VC, and Foligno maps. These
scores in these competitions will determine the 6 semifinalists.

On day 3 we will have challenge competitions. Robustness to visibility
currently seems to be a challenge that can be implemented without major
code change. We plan to discuss these competitions in Lisbon with the
team leaders and choose the ones that are fair and progressive. 2 of
the 14 remaining teams that score the best will be semifinalists.

The semifinal and final of the competition is unchanged.

We also plan to discuss in Lisbon new challenges that will be used in next
year's competition.

Best Regards

--
H.Levent Akin                         []  To acquire knowledge and
Department of Computer Engineering    []  communicate it to others