Re: [rescue:5534] Re: Proposals for RoboCupRescue 2003 regulations

From: Morimoto Takeshi (morimoto@takopen.cs.uec.ac.jp)
Date: Tue 15 Oct 2002 - 02:57:41 GMT

    Dear all,

    We had to mention the background of our two proposals about interagent
    communication more clearly:

        (1) the first proposal in [rescue:5506] and
        (2) the counter proposal in [rescue:5534].

    At first, our major premise is that an agent is a human or a group of
    humans in the current RoboCupRescue Simulation System (RCRSS).
    Because a human cannot speak and hear enormous amount of messages, it
    is natural that an agent also cannot do so.

    However, the current rule does not restrict the length of messages for
    interagent communication. Our proposals aim to model a flood of
    information in the RCRSS: an agent has to select messages from numbers
    of received ones; and an agent has occasionally to restrain speaking
    messages to prevent the flood.

    To model the information flood produced by the agents in the field,
    our proposals have:
        - a rule to restrict the length of a message and
        - a rule for an agent to be able to select messages it wishes to
          hear from all received messages,
    and these rules do not need to change the current kernel code.

    If many people think the proposal (1) is too restrictive, we do not
    claim that it is better than the late proposal (2). We do not believe
    that both proposals deteriorate the interest of RoboCupRescue as a
    good distributed multi-agent problem where agents should colaborate in
    quite a bad circumstance.

    In the future, we shall have to introduce such as the agent
    communication model proposed by [I. Noda et al., Language Design for
    Rescue Agents, pp.164--172, RoboCup2001: Robot Soccer World Cup V
    (LNAI2377), Springer Verlag, 2002] in the RCRSS, and agents will be
    able to communicate with each other in a rich protocol.

    Regards,

    --
    Prof. Ikuo Takeuchi,
    Takeshi Morimoto,