Re: [rescue:3220] logviewer & 3D 'wavefront'

From: Yoshitaka Kuwata (kuwatay@nttdata.co.jp)
Date: Wed 22 Nov 2000 - 07:18:06 GMT

Hi, Cliffano-san

Thank you for your good questions. You hit the nail on the head.

>1)
>About the 2D robocup rescue logviewer ver 1.3.8
>I have a problem, when I try to run the logviewer offline (422Y.htm).
>It works properly using IE5.0 but it gives error with NS 4.6.
>"Applet viewer.Map can't start: ERROR"
>i've tried it with several log files.
>
>any idea what's wrong?

That's normal. This could be a FAQ.
logViewer cannot run on Netscape navigator/ communicator because of technical difficulty;-<
logViewer uses event transportation model in JDK 1.1.X, which is not found in the implementation of JVM
 in Netscape 4.X. Netscape claim that JAVA 1.1 compliant but it isn't.

Solution 1) Try NS 6.0
 I didn't try by myself but it's worth trying.

Solution 2) Rewrite event handler of logViewer
  I'm not sure this is worth to do, as it is aka down grade.

Solution 3) Use other software, instead (i.e. JDK from Sun, IE etc)
 You will have alternatives. I don't think there is no environment where NS is only supported.

>2)
>is there any documentation for the 3D Building Data Generator 'wavefront' ?
>how to use it (where to put the .obj and .pl files)?

I guess I need to explain more about data generator. Even I found Japanese messages in the program;-<
This program is just a software tool for 3D graphic programmers.
It is designed to read GIS building data and generate polygon data required in (future) 3d viewers.
Shinjo-san and his group use this program to generate 3D data in their 3D viewers.

Let's go back to your original question.
For the command parameters to the script, please refer usage in the program.

sub usage()
{
    printf("Usage: $0 [-s[01]] [-v] [-fobj-filename] input-filename\n");
    printf(" -s: outout obj in one file\n");
    printf(" -v: verbose mode\n");
    printf(" -f: obj file (works -s mode only)");
}

It will generate a big obj file. You can import it any 3D modeler that support obj file format. I use "polytrans" to take snap shots and convert it into flt format.

>can we use the little extended viewer for it?

Because 3d viewer requires high spec machine, they have difficulty to release it to public, I guess.

Hope this helps.

-Yoshi

--
Yoshitaka Kuwata