[robocup-rescue-s] KA_HEAR and research challenges

From: Sarvapali Ramchurn <sdr@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri 03 Feb 2006 - 00:16:28 GMT

Dear Cameron (and everyone),

>Agents can hear 4 messages per timestep, centers can hear 2n messages where
n is the number of platoon
>agents controlled by the center (e.g.
>if there are 8 fire brigades then the fire station can hear 16 messages).

>If an agent receives 4 messages from the center then it will not be able to
listen to any nearby
>civilians.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Now, regarding the discussion about the research challenges - I was not
talking about getting an agent up and running but pointing out the core
issues of robocuprescue:
1. Path planning
2. Coordination between platoons
3. Communication protocols
4. Forecasting methods
5..... Others.

Under each of these items, there are already mechanisms developed by various
teams, (e.g. ResQFreiburg, Impossibles, Caspian, etc...) which seem very
good and appropriate for the problem at hand. It is a very hard problem to
find out about how they implemented these while factoring in all the
constraints of the domain. The team description paper that describes all
these winning strategies is usually prepared well in advance of the final
submission (as we will do again this year) and therefore does not provide
any real clue as to how things were really implemented (ResQFreiburg might
be an exception to some extent). Moreover, new things might have been added
or removed - you never know. And therefore, one is never sure why one
strategy is better than another in the end.

To make this better, winning strategies should probably be made to document
their work and put it on a general web site (BTW - there seems to be a
number of websites for different years - with different logfiles,
documentation) which contains all relevant information about robocup rescue.
Then researchers would know what they are up against when entering this
domain. Winning teams might not want to reveal everything but core
techniques should be discussed.

Now, having said that, regarding highlighting the research challenges - a
new entrant should be told what are the problems one might want to look at
(from the above list for example). For example - for one year, the
communication could be subject to noise and roads becoming blocked in real
time - this would allow someone to do some work on robust communication
protocols or path planning under uncertainty... Right now, there are so many
issues to tackle in robocup rescue that it is very difficult for any new
entrant to participate actively or compete...

This mailing list remains our lifeline :)

Thanks for your quick responses.

Gopal