Re: TCP-UDP demon

From: Cameron Skinner (cam@cs.auckland.ac.nz)
Date: Wed 01 Sep 2004 - 19:00:22 GMT

I'm not sure if the TCP-UDP bridge idea will fix the problem or not,
largely because no-one seems to know exactly where the problem is. For
example, I used tcpdump to track all packets going between our simulator
machine and our agent machine. As far as I could see every packet that was
sent did arrive at the agent machine's network card, but some did not make
it to the agent processes. This suggests a buffer overflow, or possibly
malformed packets. On the other hand, when both the simulators and the
agents are run on one machine there are no lost packets - which suggests a
network problem rather than an OS buffer problem.

In short, we do not know what the problem is. Perhaps someone (preferably
the person who suggested the idea) could implement the TCP-UDP bridge and
let us all know how it performs.

In the meantime, do we have any volunteers to take responsibility for
migrating the kernel and simulators to TCP? Come to think of it, a good
first step would be to create a robocup rescue library in C. I've just
added a module to the CVS repository on sourceforge called librescue -
feel free to start writing stuff and submit it via the sourceforge web
page (only the Technical Committee have commit rights on the CVS
repository).

Cameron Skinner
TC Chair

--