Re: TCP-UDP demon

From: Miguel Arroz (arroz@guiamac.com)
Date: Wed 01 Sep 2004 - 15:16:25 GMT

Hi!

   I don't think that's a good ideia, because the main problem won't be
solved: even with local communications, the UDP packets may be lost. If
one the the system UDP buffers gets full, the OS kernel will start to
drop packets.

   So, I guess it would be a lot of pointless work... it's better to
spend a little more time doing the thing right, that spend more time
(the proxy + the TCP layer) with no reason.

   Yours

Miguel Arroz

On 1 de set de 2004, at 1:15, Mahdi Milani Fard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a suggestion which might help to fasten the development of the
> TCP communication systems. We can use a demon as a TCP to UDP bridge
> for
> each piece of the system. The demon would listen to one or more TCP
> port
> and then send the received data as local UDP on the same machine. It
> will
> also read from local UDP and pass it over the network using TCP. There
> will be no need to change the any modules, as they can simply use local
> UDP ports. This way, the demon could send a new type of message (a so
> called KA maybe) to sender if there is a problem in sending the data
> over
> the network (although this should be used with very small ttl.)
> However, I
> think it needs a bit more thought and it might not be practical at all.
>
> This seems to be a patch rather than a real solution, but at least it
> can
> be used temporarily with some modules while working on the others. We
> can
> start with the patch and then little by little remove it for each
> module.
>
> --
> Mahdi Milani Fard
> Member of UTEternity
> Tehran, Iran

       "I felt like putting a bullet between
        the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't
        scr*w to save its species." -- Fight Club

   Miguel Arroz - arroz@guiamac.com - http://www.guiamac.com