Re: new tests in competition

From: Sébastien Paquet (spaquet@iad.ift.ulaval.ca)
Date: Thu 10 Jun 2004 - 15:26:13 GMT

Dear Technical Committee,

I have some comments about the changes to the competition you annonced this week.

The first point is not really a modification, since it is the normal competition to change the initial configuration.

However, I have some comments about the second point concerning the change of the sensing property. First of all, it goes against the rules that were adopted for the competition. Changing the rules less than three weeks before the competition is really not good. The number of messages is clearly indicated in the rules and there is no mention that it could be changed. I don't know for the other teams, but for our team, changing the number of messages require a recompilation of our program. Also, since the number of messages is a fareplay rule, it will become even harder to enforce this rule if we are constantly changing it.

If there is still gone a be a sensing competition, we need more specific information to adapt our program:
    - Are you going to change the length of the messages?
    - Would it be possible to have a different number of messages for each kind of agents? For example, the policeforce could hear 3 messages and the FireBrigade just two.
    - Would it be possible to have different number of messages to send and receive? For example, receive only 2 but send 4.
    - For the vision, I suppose your are not considering having completly blind agents, that will make them only able to work at random.

And now, for the learning part of the competition. I think it is impossible to do useful learning in only three simulations. The only thing possible in such a short time is simply to record everything you can so the agents won't have to search for the fires or the civilians. This is not interesting learning since there is no generalization, it is simply "hard coded" learning for a specific situation. The information learned would not be interesting for other situations.

I will stop their since my email is already long, but to sum up, my main point is that you are making changes to the competition and the rules of the competition just three weeks before the competition. This is really not good, since we won't have time to do a good job, it will only be backup plans giving uninteresting results.

I don't know if it would change anything, but those are my comments about the last minute changes we received this week.

Sébastien Paquet
Leader of DAMAS-Rescue
http://www.damas.ift.ulaval.ca/projets/RobocupRescue/index.php