[Fwd: RoboCup 2004 7th News]

From: H. Levent AKIN (akin@boun.edu.tr)
Date: Wed 02 Jun 2004 - 10:10:45 GMT

--
H.Levent Akin                         []  To acquire knowledge and
Department of Computer Engineering    []  communicate it to others
Bogazici University                   []  has been the ambition,
34342 Bebek-Istanbul                  []  pleasure, and business of
TURKEY                                []  my life.
                                      []  -William Harvey
                                      []
Phone: +90 (212) 359 6769             []
Fax:   +90 (212) 287 2461             []
E-Mail:akin@boun.edu.tr               []
URL:http://www.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~akin []

attached mail follows:

7th ROBOCUP 2004 NEWS
(http://www.robocup2004.pt/)

*Preamble* This newsletter has very important information concerning
cargo shipping and customs. Please take some minutes to carefully read it.

* CUSTOMS: As we have previously underlined, due to security reasons and
the coincidence with the EURO 2004, even more severe customs control is
currently active. Among other measures, passport control applies
temporarily for ALL countries, including those countries from the
European Union covered by the Schengen Treaty (check
http://www.euro2004.com/news/newsId=182371,printer.htmx). So please do
not forget your passport. Regarding cargo customs control, the following
should also be taken into consideration, both for shipped cargo (in this
case, your shipping company should take care of it) or for equipment
transported with you as luggage:
- all electronics, mechanical devices and/or computers must enter
Portugal as a "temporary import". Such condition MUST be requested to
customs upon the entrance in Portugal, following one of 2 alternatives:
- for countries which are part of the ATA convention, an ATA Carnet
issued at the participant country - best solution;
- for other countries (e.g., Argentina, Brasil, Chile, UAE, Mexico and
Taiwan), the participant must fill a form (approved by the EU) soon
available on line in our Cargo Shipping web page. In this case, the
participants should bring the filled form in duplicate plus either a
certified check, cash or ATM card deposit up to 150 EUR, of which they
can get refunded when leaving the country, by showing to the Portuguese
custom authorities that all the equipment which entered Portugal is
leaving back again. This deposit is exactly meant to ensure that the
import is definitely *temporary*.
- to compute the latter deposit, the following taxes apply:
- VAT (19% of the declared value of the equipment) plus
- custom rights, which are 0% of the declared value for all countries
except the USA (8%), if goods are declared under code 9504 90 90 ("other
games"). Certain exceptions apply for equipment which is not accessory
to your robots, such as electrical motors, voltage transformers and
remote control devices, but most probably you can always justify them as
part of the robots. Computers code is 8471 30 00.
If the total value exceeds 150 EUR, this is the maximum value to be
deposited. We arranged this with Portuguese authorities to make your
life easier. They also sent the list of all participants to the most
important custom sites in the country. Therefore, we also expect you to
abide by these rules to avoid any undesirable situations.

* REGISTRATION: Junior registration is now open, until June 6. 175 teams
are qualified, and massively started registering already! The (almost)
final registration numbers for the Senior leagues are 160 teams, from 30
countries, more than 900 participants, roughly one third faculty and two
thirds students. Symposium registration is still open. So far, we got 28
people who registered for te Symposium only.

* SYMPOSIUM: The Symposium detailed program is now on-line at the
Symposium page. It includes parallel sessions, a panel on applications
of RoboCup research, with the participation at least of one
representative of ESA, the European Space Agency, and SIG sessions. Last
but not the least, it includes 4 plenary sessions with exciting
subjects, two of them shared with our co-located conference IAV 2004.

We are looking to meeting all of you in Lisbon soon!

Pedro Lima, Luis Custódio

(General co-Chairs)

--
Pedro U. Lima