Foligno Map

From: Mohsen Izadi (roboresc_mi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon 17 May 2004 - 13:58:13 GMT

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, last year, Foligno was
announced as a new map to be used for the
competitions. Last year, after some tests,
we discovered that Foligno was about 8 times
larger in area than what was considered a
logical size for Rescue Simulation competitions.
So we sent an e-mail to mailing list and
suggested that it is better to scale it to
a logical size.

After some discussions, a scaled version of
the map was released and actually was used
for the competitions. In the competitions,
as you all know, while Foligno seemed to be
a challenging map, teams had many difficulties
performing rescue operations there.

In our team we experienced two major problems.
First, agents seemed to travel very slowly in
Foligno and second, creation of a road block
scheme using galpolydata.dat and shindopolydata.dat
seemed to be impossible. After about 1 week
working, we were only able to make a scheme
with all roads blocked and all other efforts
resulted a situation with no road blockage.

In our recent works on Foligno map, we found
that last year, during the scale process,
everything was scaled(e.g. (X,Y) coordinates
of buildings and nodes, area of buildings,
etc.) except 'length' parameter for roads.

This resulted in roads with a length equal to
about 3 times the distance between the head
and the tail(unlike other maps).

So, we created a fixed version of the map and
made some experiments on it. The results showed
a significant improvement on agents' movement.
Agents now move more smooth and nearly as what
we desire. You can download this fixed version
from:

http://ce.aut.ac.ir/~sos/downloads.html

Up to now, we haven't tried to create any block
scheme on the fixed version but we predict that
creating block schemes will be a lot easier on
this map.

At last, while we suggest other teams to test
their agents on this map, we also propose it
to be used instead of the current Foligno map
as we think that this case in Foligno is not
realistic and is more like a BUG instead of
a special property for a map.

Regards,
Mohsen Izadi,
S.O.S. Member