[Fwd: 5th RoboCup2004 News]

From: H. Levent AKIN (akin@boun.edu.tr)
Date: Wed 31 Mar 2004 - 07:04:31 GMT

--
H.Levent Akin                         []  To acquire knowledge and
Department of Computer Engineering    []  communicate it to others
Bogazici University                   []  has been the ambition,
34342 Bebek-Istanbul                  []  pleasure, and business of
TURKEY                                []  my life.
                                      []  -William Harvey
                                      []
Phone: +90 (212) 358 1540 Ext:1769    []
Fax:   +90 (212) 287 2461             []
E-Mail:akin@boun.edu.tr               []
URL:http://www.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~akin []

attached mail follows:

5th ROBOCUP 2004 NEWS
(http://www.robocup2004.pt/)

 * QUALIFIED TEAMS AND TRAVEL SUPPORT: The list of qualified teams for RoboCup 2004 has been decided by the Technical Committees of all the leagues, except Junior, where teams will be selected from regional events. You may find the qualified teams per League under 'Teams' in the Web page for each league. This year we have 172 qualified teams, from the 265 that pre-registered, from 30 countries. The most represented countries are Japan (32 teams), Iran (31 teams), Germany (23 teams) and Portugal (13 teams). A total amount of 577.816,00 Eur was requested for travel support, of which we could cover about 21%.

 * REGISTRATION: Registration opens today on the 'Registration' page of the official web site. Hopefully, the instructions are clear to follow. You will know there the amount of travel support assigned to your team, which will be deducted, as announced before, to the nominal registration fee. The table with Registration fees is online at the 'Registration' page as well. In case the amount of travel support exceeds your total registration fee, you will receive the remaining value (stated in a special box on the registration page) in Lisbon, during RoboCup 2004.
Registration will be open until May 15. People applying for a visa to enter Portugal may need an official letter from the Organizing Committee. Note that such letters will only be issued after a duly registration is received.

 * TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION: Do not oversight our insistence on this point. You may experience serious difficulties to find rooms now, due to EURO 2004 overbooking, if you did not book your hotel or residential yet. We are still trying to find extra solutions for this problem. We made a list of less expensive "hotels" (here called "Pensões" or "Residenciais") which are not managed by Travel Agent and that seem to still have plenty of rooms at very reasonable prices and conditions. You can find that list at http://www.robocup2004.pt/docs/PensoesResidenciaisList.pdf, as well as a map with the hotel and the venue locations at http://www.robocup2004.pt/docs/PensoesResidenciaisMap.pdf. Do not forget also that TAP AirPortugal offers discounts for RoboCup 2004 participants, in the routes operated by them. Check the link to them on the RoboCup 2004 home page.

 * 2004 POSTER: The 1st version of the 2004 Poster (there will be a 2nd, slightly different, near the event) is now official and will be out very soon. You can download it from http://www.robocup2004.pt/imgs/about/Poster1-RC2004.jpg. The official slogan for this year is "A Small Kick for Robots, A Giant Score for Science".

Pedro Lima, Luis Custódio

--
Luis Manuel Marques Custodio

Assistant Professor at Instituto Superior Tecnico Intelligent Systems Lab., Institute for Systems and Robotics Address: ISR - Torre Norte Instituto Superior Tecnico Av. Rovisco Pais 1, 1049-001 Lisboa Portugal

Email: lmmc@isr.ist.utl.pt Phone: 351-218418272 Fax: 351-218418291 ---------------------------------------------------------------------