[rescue:5552] Re: Proposals for RoboCupRescue 2003 regulations (fwd)

From: Ranjit Nair (nair@usc.edu)
Date: Thu 17 Oct 2002 - 08:42:09 GMT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Ranjit Nair <nair@usc.edu>
    To: rescue@r.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp
    Subject: [rescue:5552] Re: Proposals for RoboCupRescue 2003 regulations

    I agree that having a common ACL is useful for comparison of teams not
    necessarily from a competition perspective but certainly from a research
    perspective. However, this can be done by having developers explain what
    information they exchange through their individual ACLs as part of their
    team description. I don't believe that the simulators should specify an
    ACL because this restricts the creativity of developers in coming up with
    their own information exchange mechanisms.

    Another important use of having a common ACL that you mentioned is the
    coordination of the Rescue effort with a team composed of agents
    developed by different developers. Here a common ACL becomes crucial.

    This is a very realistic problem which is seen in the real world. I
    think this can be the basis of a very interesting Scientific Challenge
    Problem at the forthcoming RoboCupRescue. If others find the idea of
    a Scientific Challenge based on getting agents developed by
    different researchers to collaborate, then we can discuss the formulation
    of this problem here. Certainly deciding on the ACL to use will be part of
    it.

    Regards,

    Ranjit