YNT: A question related with 2003 rules

From: Baris Eker (eker@uekae.tubitak.gov.tr)
Date: Tue 16 Dec 2003 - 13:35:49 GMT

If this is the case, then there seem to be a very serious problem.
I run our agents with same configuration several times. To give you an
example,I obtained 47.672 point in one run and 58.401 point in another.
This is a very big difference.
If this difference was a little, this might not be a concern but if
such a system is used in a competition environment we should pay
attention on this issue. This is not fortune game! By looking at
these results I may be ranked as last or first by chance. Of course,
there are several runs and it has very low possibility that a bad
implementation get good ranks but this is the case. Among good
implementation chance factors become very important. If team A slighly
perform better than team B in a configuration in one run, in another
run team B may perform better.
Another interesting point that I want to mention about is this. I
implemented empty agents that just connect to kernel and do nothing else
during simulation. I believed that this should be the worst case for the
configuration. However,when I run these agents and some other team's
code and our code, I saw that even empty agents perform better in some
cases although very rare! In fact, they don't perform better, but
simulation environment performs differently!

Are we missing some point or is this the case?